HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Monday, February 28, 2011

Splat Mat

This weekend the hubby and I finally got around to unpacking some boxes in the garage and I found our splat mat! 







This was one of my very first sewing projects.  I've actually only been sewing for about 2 and 1/2 years.  On our 5th anniversary I told my husband I was going to buy a sewing machine and we agreed that I would buy a very inexpensive one at first to see if I liked to sew.  I feel in LOVE!!!  I made anything and everything I could think of, this splat included, unfortunately I didn't know about changing needles and thread types and in an attempt to make a slip cover out of duck cloth with thick piping and lots of pleats I destroyed that poor little machine.  Life got busy after that with babies and it was 2 years before I bought another.  I've educated myself since so this one will not have the same fate!

When I made this Nate was very young so I wanted something that would protect his little legs from the hard concrete.  I decided to use upholstery fabric on one side and felt on the opposite so it would have lots of padding.  I added a layer of vinyl to both sides then folded over the edges to finish.  As you can see it's soft enough for gymnastics!








This is nothing really special but for some reason I just love it!  I don't know if it's because It was one of my first projects or because it so useful for our everyday lives but either way it's a keeper.


Today we painted on our splat mat.  Nate cut out shapes from a paper plate and taped them together to make a rocket.  It was really cute so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and turn it into a stamp to make thank you cards for his 5th birthday party.  He even went back and added fire to them.  I just love his creative mind!









These are the moments that make me so thankful to be a homeschooling mom! 



  Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.